Frequently Asked Questions About Property Taxes

Summer Taxes are due July 1 through September 14

Winter Taxes are due December 1 through February 14

Please note:  The Treasurer’s Office handles questions regarding the billing and collection of property taxes.  Specific questions regarding property assessments and values should be referred to THE TOWNSHIP ASSESSING DEPARTMENT – (517) 264-4568.

When can I expect to receive a bill and when is it due?

The summer tax bills are mailed the first week July and are due without penalty by September 14 unless it falls on a weekend in which case the due date is the next business day.  The winter tax bills are mailed the first week of December and are due without penalty the following February 14 unless it falls on a weekend in which case the due date is the next business day.  The due date will always be clearly indicated on your tax bill.

I didn’t receive a bill, what should I do?

Call our office immediately (517) 423-3162.  We will send you a duplicate bill.  Please note, it is the taxpayers responsibility to pay the taxes by the due date regardless of whether a bill was received or not.

My bill has someone else’s name on it, what should I do?

First make sure it is your bill, i.e. check the parcel number.  If it is your bill, most likely there has been a recent ownership change and the taxpayer information hasn’t been updated.  If this is the case, you may pay on the bill you received.  Again, please note it is the taxpayer’s responsibility to pay the taxes by the due date.

How do I change the mailing address?

The Township Assessor maintains mailing addresses.  For information on what is required to change an address contact the Township Assessor at (517) 264-4568. 

I have an escrow account and I changed Mortgage Companies, what should I do?

Call our office immediately (517) 423-3162.  We need the name and address of your new mortgage company so we can update our records.  NOTE:  If you pay off your mortgage and no longer have an escrow account please call our office so we can update our records.

Where I can pay my taxes and what payment options are available?

At our office -Raisin Charter Township is located at 5525 Occidental Hwy, Tecumseh.

Mail – Please include the tax stub and note parcel number on your check –  PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH.

Drop Box – There is a drop slot conveniently located to the right of the main door at the Raisin Charter Township office

On our Website – Please see the “Pay Taxes” tab to pay with a credit card.

**A 3% convenience fee applies to credit card transactions

What if I can’t pay the tax bill when it is due?

After March 1st call the Lenawee County Treasurer at (517) 264-4554 for any interest, penalties and partial payment amounts.

What are the penalties for late payment?

Summer taxes:  1% per month on unpaid principal.  Unpaid real property taxes and penalties are turned over to the Lenawee County Treasurer as of March 1st of the succeeding year.  Contact the Lenawee County Treasurer at (517) 264-4554.

Winter taxes:  3% penalty is collected after the due date and before March 1.  Unpaid real property taxes are turned over to the Lenawee County Treasurer.  Call the Lenawee County Treasurer for payment information on taxes turned over delinquent.

I can’t pay my tax bill on time will it affect my credit rating?

No, we do not report anything concerning your payment habits to the Credit Bureau.

The taxable value or Principal Residence Exemption on my bill is incorrect, what should I do?

CONTACT THE TOWNSHIP ASSESSOR’S OFFICE IMMEDIATELY AT (517) 264-4568. There are two opportunities each year for assessment corrections; at the July and December Boards of Review.  However, the taxes billed reflect a legal assessment and are due by the due date and in the amount stated on the bill regardless of errors.  Partial payments made in anticipation of an assessment correction are “at your own risk”; i.e., any residual balance due after corrections will bear penalties if delinquent.

What is the difference between real and personal property taxes?

Real property is property that is attached such as land and buildings.  Real property taxes are assessed on either commercial/industrial or residential property.

Personal property is any property that isn’t real property.  Personal property taxes are assessed only on property that is used in a business.

How is property assessed?

Real property assessments are based on market values and are assessed yearly by the assessor’s department.  Assessment notices are mailed to taxpayers of record in January or each year.  An important part of assessing property is the appeal process.  Real property assessments can be appealed at the March board of review.

Personal property assessments originate from a filing of a statement by the taxpayer.  If a personal property statement is not furnished the assessor, he/she is authorized to assess such amount of personal property as deemed reasonable and just.  The business owner is required by law to report the value of property owned on a personal property statement form provided by the local assessor.  Assessment notices are also mailed to business personal property owners in January of each year.  Personal property assessments can also be appealed at the March board of review.


What is the difference between assessed value and taxable value?

Taxable value (TV) is the value used to compute your tax bill and applies to real property only.  “TV” is determined yearly as the LESSER of assessed value (market based as determined by assessor) and capped value.  Capped value is the prior year’s taxable value, less taxable value of losses, “capped” by an increase of the lesser of 5% or the rate of inflation, plus assessed value of additions.  Taxable value becomes uncapped when property is sold or transferred.

What is a Principal Residence Exemption and how do I know if I have one?

A Principal Residence Exemption entitles the owner of real property an exemption from the 18* mills of school operating tax for the percentage of taxable value used as a primary residence.  The Principal Residence Exemption must be claimed on a form approved by the Michigan Department of Treasury.  The Principal Residence Exemption for your property will be included on your assessment notice expressed as a percentage.  The Principal Residence Exemption percentage will also be displayed on your summer and winter tax bill.  A Principal Residence Exemption of 100% means your property is exempted from 100% of school operating taxes.  Voted school bonded debt millages are NOT exempted.

* Or less subject to Headlee Amendment roll back


How can I receive a credit or have my property taxes reduced?

The credits available do not originate from the Township.  The State of Michigan has a Principal Residence Exemption property tax credit that can be calculated annually as part of the state income tax filing.  In addition, a separate calculation is available for senior citizens for their Principal Residence Exemption property taxes.  More information on these credits can be obtained at the web site www.michigan.gov.treasury or by calling 1-800-482-7000.  Information regarding Principal Residence Exemption exemptions and poverty exemptions are available from the Township office or the Assessor’s office.

What is the Townships fiscal year?

January 1 through December 31.

What are the requirements to defer my summer taxes?
To qualify for a deferment of summer taxes, you must file the application no later than September 15th.  

You must not have a household income of more than $40,000 for the previous calendar year and you must meet one of the following qualifications:

Be 62 years of age or older, including the unmarried surviving spouse of a person who was 62 years of age or older at the time of death.

Be a Paraplegic, Hemiplegic, or Quadriplegic.

Be an eligible Serviceperson, eligible Veteran, eligible widow or widower.

Be a blind person.

Be totally and permanently disabled.

You can also have property that is classified or used as agricultural real property with the gross receipts of agricultural or horticultural operations in the previous year being not less than your total household income for the previous calendar year or the combined incomes in the previous year of the individual member of a limited liability company that owns the agricultural property.

Does the Township accept postmark date on tax payments mailed?
The Township does accept postmark. After the due date, please contact the Treasurer’s office by phone or email to obtain the correct amount due. (517) 423-3162- treasurer@raisintownship.com

What happens if I don’t pay my personal property tax?
If you do not pay personal property taxes, the Treasurer is authorized to seize and sell at public auction the amount of personal property to satisfy the taxes.

How do I get a dog license?
Dog licenses are available at the Township Hall. The cost is $10.00 from December 1st through February 28th and a current valid rabies certificate must be presented to purchase a license. State law requires all dogs four months and older to have a license. From March through November dog licenses may be purchased at a cost of $20.00. Licenses expire December 31st of each year and need to be renewed every year.